Website | Directions | Phone: (404) 255-4023 | About the Organs | Music Ministry
|Tuesday, 7/7/2020||1:00 PM – 1:45 PM||Recital: Svyati Duo|
|1:50 PM – 2:00 PM||Buses Leave for 3:00 PM Events & Convention Hotel|
|3:00 PM – 3:45 PM||Recital: Svyati Duo|
|3:50 PM – 4:00 PM||Buses Leave for Convention Hotel|
|Friday, 7/10/2020||1:00 PM – 1:45 PM||Recital: Svyati Duo|
Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church is located at 805 Mt. Vernon Highway NW, Atlanta, GA 30327.
About the Church
In 1872, as Atlanta had begun to recover from the devastation of the Civil War, signs of prosperity became the source of an eventual booming economy. Growth also brought challenges. A young woman named Nellie Peters Black began to teach and care for the poor and unemployed families in the area. Her dedication and drive led the Rev. W.B. Elliott, rector of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, to designate the church’s Easter offering to found a mission Sunday school for “the poor of the northern suburb.” With the help of a gift of land by Nellie’s mother, Mrs. Richard Peters, and building funds by Mrs. George Walker, the little Mission of Holy Innocents’ had its beginning at the corner of Ponce de Leon and Juniper Streets with the erection of a chapel-classroom. In November of 1954, after closing its doors months earlier to city expansion and a new expressway, and in response to a need for ministry in the Sandy Springs area, the little mission church moved to this burgeoning suburb of Atlanta and has continued outreach locally and internationally, building on strong liturgy and spiritual growth.
The Nave Organ
The pipe organ in our Nave, built by Schoenstein & Company of San Francisco, is a 36-rank, 3-manual instrument, with nearly 2,100 pipes. The first instrument by this builder in the Atlanta metropolitan area, it is designed and voiced specifically to fulfill the needs of Episcopal worship in the Anglican tradition, with an emphasis on choral accompaniment and service playing.
Click here to see the Schoenstein Organ Specifications.
The Chapel Organ
The Chapel Organ was originally commissioned by Colgate University Organist Emerita, Mary Ann Dodd. Some of the pipe work of this instrument was “pre-owned”: carefully assembled by David E. Wallace & Co. (Gorham, Maine) over a period of years from a variety of sources. With happy geographic convergence, the pipes that form the nucleus of the Dodd instrument came from an 1853 organ by Alvinza Andrews, a Utica builder whose shop had, in fact, first been located in Waterville, the “next town north” of Sherburne. Originally produced for the Calvary Episcopal Church in Utica, Andrews’ nine-rank organ was rebuilt by the Morey company in 1903 for the Masonic Hall in Newark, New York; then, in the late 1970s, it was relocated to the Pacific Northwest to serve Saint Matthew Episcopal Church in Auburn, Washington. In 2002, five of its nine ranks found their way “home” to sound again in the Dodd residence, not far from the shop in which their journey originated nearly a century and a half ago.
Click here to see the Wallace Organ Specifications.
Visit our website at www.holyinnocents.org.