|10:45 AM – 12:20 PM
|Rising Star Recital (1)
|10:00 AM – 11:10 AM
|Rising Star Recital (2)
The First United Methodist Church of Atlanta is located at 360 West Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30308.
About the Church
The Church celebrated its 170th year of existence in 2017. With such a long history of service to God and the community, our story has come to hold great meaning for us. Many interesting and prominent members of the community have worshipped with us over the years.
The story of Atlanta First United Methodist Church is really about people: their faith, generosity and sacrifices throughout the years have carried Atlanta First through 170 years of growth and development. Its history is richly adorned with noteworthy and recognizable names relating to the founding of Atlanta and its modern development. Atlanta First has always chosen to remain in the center of town where it can minister to the spiritual needs of all who wish to come and attend, both rich and poor.
About the Organ
A central component of much of Atlanta First’s music ministry is our pipe organ, the third such instrument to exist in our 1903 sanctuary. This magnificent organ was built in 2007 by the A. E. Schlueter Pipe Organ Company of Lithonia, Georgia. The organ façade fills the arch over the chancel, where once it was open above the pipes of the previous, smaller organ. The organ, containing 155 ranks (61 pipes per rank), along with hundreds of digital MIDI instruments, is controlled by a movable five manual console. There are three divisions in the gallery antiphonal organ and six divisions in the main organ. A Trompette en Chamade (horizontal brass trumpets) is displayed under the stained glass windows of the rear gallery. The organ includes pipes from the previous Roosevelt and Reuter organs with the addition of new pipes. The antiphonal organ also includes pipes from the 1926 E. M. Skinner organ, formerly in our neighbor, Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
Don Land, a former Atlanta First Organist and Director of Music, designed the initial specifications for the organ. Mr. Land also donated many vintage organ pipes from his personal collection to be installed in the instrument, including those from the 1926 E. M. Skinner organ. The final specifications are a result of collaboration with Tom Alderman, Organist at Roswell United Methodist Church, and Arthur Schleueter, III, Vice-President of A. E. Schlueter Pipe Organ Company.
Visit our website at www.atlantafirstumc.org.